My name is Kayla Carew and I am a sophomore at Saint Michael’s College studying math and secondary education. I grew up in Jericho, Vermont, a small town twenty minutes from campus. My childhood was centered around my family and friends, so getting to know the people I come in contact with is very important to me. A fun fact is that I have a rabbit named Oreo who is house trained and who loves to explore his surroundings.
This blog will serve as a place where I can document my journey to become a teacher. In the past, I tutored local high school students in various areas of math, but this semester I will be tutoring an ELL student in a formal school setting. The thought is both daunting and exciting. I want future teachers and my students to know that I am passionate about helping people learn and understand unfamiliar concepts. I want them to know that I am nervous to become an educator, and that I will strive to do my best. I’m looking forward to pursuing my career in education, and I can’t wait to share the experience with you!
Hey, everyone! This past week my classmates and I practiced our teacher skills in a 15-minute vocabulary lesson for our Literacy course. For my lesson, I aimed to build a solid foundation about triangles in order to deepen my students' understanding of the Pythagorean Theorem. Click here if you want to critique my teacher presence and/or learn how to classify triangles based on their side lengths, and click here to view my lesson plan. For my lesson, I focused on the following terms: scalene triangle, isosceles triangle, equilateral triangle, right triangle, and hypotenuse. I chose these terms because they are crucial to understanding the various types of triangles and how they relate to the real-world. According to “The Power of the Word,” these are important terms to teach because they are representative, repetitive, and transportive to other class projects, and make up a tolerable cognitive load. I started writing my ...


Comments
Post a Comment